Dancesafe
Topic Options
#204398 - 03/23/10 04:55 AM Suboxone and shooting heroin
NickM335577 Offline
Lurker

First off, I wanted to say whats up, I used to post here a few years ago, then a little bit a bit over a year ago. I just got out of state prison (I got a 1-3 for a possession of heroin) a few weeks ago.

Second, I wanted to talk about what was happening before I went away. I was being prescribed suboxone (started at 24 mgs a day, was at 12 before I went in) and was still chipping dope. Now, I know everyone is saying that you can't get high while on suboxone; but what I experienced was quite different. I was still taking my normal dose (at most I would skip the 6mgs I took in the morning the day I shot dope) but when I shot a large shot of dope (like a whole half gram at once) I still got real high, and not just for 20 minutes but for the whole night. Even when I took that morning dose I still got high, just not as high. I've come to think you CAN get high while on suboxone if you use enough (I'm talking 4-5 times the usual dose, and by injection). Am I a rare exception or does this tend to be the case?

#204403 - 03/23/10 08:50 AM Re: Suboxone and shooting heroin [Re: NickM335577]
xtc_eyezz Offline
Harm Reduction Geek

Loc: Ashville, AL
I used to be prescribed suboxone because I was once an addict. Yes, it gets you high, its made to rid of cravings, so doctors make sure your a little buzzed. Yes it dulls the effect of opiates because your not supposed to take opiates when your using the drug to get off opiates. Suboxone contains narcon(or something like that) which dulls the effects and is supposed to make you sick if you mix it with opiates.

Look dude, suboxone is for people that WANT to quit. What do you want? just to not get withdrawls? To give the government a better reason the fight drugs and ban drugs that help addicts that WANT to quit? Nevermind, i dont even care.

"do you ever question your life, do you ever wonder why, do you ever see in your dreams, all the castles in the sky?, Oh tell me why, do we build castles in the sky, oh tell me why, all the castles way up high."

Stay whiskyeed my friends, stay whiskyeed..

#204404 - 03/23/10 03:47 PM Re: Suboxone and shooting heroin [Re: xtc_eyezz]
NickM335577 Offline
Lurker

I wasn't posting it as a recommendation, but merely an observation. I don't want people to overshoot it nor do I want to continue using. But I thought we were supposed to be committed to the truth about using drugs and harm reduction; if one can still get high while using suboxone that changes how effective it is. I still think its a very useful drug, I was merely stating that I feel that the assumption that you absolutely can't get high while on it is wrong, it just takes a lot more.

#204405 - 03/23/10 03:49 PM Re: Suboxone and shooting heroin [Re: NickM335577]
NickM335577 Offline
Lurker

Also, the naltrexone in suboxone is not meant to be a blocker of other opiates, its meant to prevent the suboxone user from sniffing or IVing there suboxone. The naltrexone has little effect when taken sublingually and even if it did get into the system a dose that size would only last a few hours.

#204406 - 03/23/10 03:50 PM Re: Suboxone and shooting heroin [Re: NickM335577]
NickM335577 Offline
Lurker

And to add to that this means that in an emergency situation (like a car wreck) where a patient is on suboxone pain could still be managed properly if opiods were given in proper dosages.

Moderator:  slaker, The Housefly